We know many of you have a dehumidifier whirring away in your home, helping to eliminate that wet and musty smell. Did you know that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recalled 5.6 million dehumidifiers this year by Gree and Midrea? These Gree and Midrea dehumidifiers are sold under many different popular retail names. What’s even worse is some of those dehumidifiers burst into flames causing about $1.9 million in property damage and putting families, just like yours, in harms way.
Don’t get me wrong; dehumidifiers are a great addition to a home. They remove excess moisture that creates the perfect environment for mold and bacteria. Your wet basement is party central for mold spores, mildew and bacteria. It’s really no party though for you when it causes health problems like coughing, sneezing, respiratory and neurological issues and asthma. Excess moisture in your home can also cause property damage like peeling paint, wood rot and I hate to break it to you, but cockroaches love moist areas to hang out too.
Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty and solve all the above problems in a few simple steps.
**If you are a genius or don’t want to mess with it, call Godby immediately and skip to step 7.
- Unplug your dehumidifier immediately.
- If you have a dehumidifier and purchased it between January 2005 and August 2013, or if you are super smart and know you should check yours no matter what, head to the manufacturer’s website.
- Locate your model or serial number. They are usually located in the front, back, side or behind the drawer that holds the moisture.
- Enter that number and see if yours is recalled
- If it is recalled, follow whatever steps they tell you.
- Now that you have read all of the steps and possibly completed them, call Godby anyway.
- Tell them you need help with a dehumidifier and ask about a free 72-hour dehumidifier demo.
- Give yourself a high-five and make sure you rock the rest of your day out!
A little extra tidbit of info when it comes to dehumidifiers- If you purchase a dehumidifier from a big box store your warranty is from the manufacturer only and it may be null and void if you didn’t register it. Remember that little card that you ignored and threw to the side? Yep, that’s the one you should have sent in. It takes time and a lot of effort on your part to get something replaced or fixed if you have to do it on your own.
If you purchase your dehumidifier from Godby, we’ve got you covered. We take care of all of the dirty work. You get a 1-year labor warranty on top of Aprilaire’s manufacturer guaranty and there is no need to remember to fill that card and send it in!
Contact Godby Heating Plumbing Electrical to find out how we can help you keep your moisture levels safe and your home and family healthy and safe too!