5 Ways to Win the Fight Against Flu Season
It’s that season—flu and virus season. This year seems to be the year of all years. People are hanging on to viruses and unfortunately there have been (as of February 16th, 2018) 195 deaths due to the flu, and that’s in Indiana alone. Here are some ways that you can help create a healthier household and eliminate those pesky germs.
- Wash, Wash, Wash– Viruses like to linger. They can hang out on surfaces for hours! Make sure to regularly wash your linens, towels and clothing. Wash items in hot water and dry on a higher heat setting if the fabric allows. And don’t forget to wash your hands with soap and water. You may feel like a nerd singing “Happy Birthday” or you ABC’s while washing your hands, but it makes sure you are scrubbing long enough to evict those loitering germs. And it’s OK to be an annoying parent and make sure your kids are doing the same. I mean, how many of you want to have a kid with the flu?
- Disinfect– A sneeze can travel 200 feet, so if your kid sneezes in the hallway, it doesn’t mean the germs didn’t travel into your living room. Disinfect surfaces in your home. Use a cleaner that is certified to kill influenza A. And yes, this year there is a list of viruses long enough to make you dizzy (you can read it here), but don’t forget that good ol’ white vinegar is known to kill both cold and flu viruses. Wipe down any surface you can. Don’t forget doorknobs, toys, refrigerator handles, game consoles and controllers, remotes, tablets, computer keyboards and your car! Make sure you use appropriate cleaners and disinfectants depending on the surface. It should go without saying, but don’t use a wet sponge on your laptop.
- Humidity– Humidity in your home is a fickle bugger. If your humidity is too high, it gives your home the perfect environment to hang around and breed. But, when the humidity in your home is too low, which can happen in the winter months, it helps flu and other viruses stick around as well. You know the saying, “40 is fabulous?” Well, that goes for the relative humidity in your home as well. Most of the time you want to stick in the 40s, percentage wise, when judging the best humidity numbers. Godby can install a whole house humidifier to make sure your home’s humidity stays where it should be.
- Filters– That humidifier that you had Godby put in your home has a filter. This filter helps traps dust particles, fungi, airborne bacteria, pollen, mold and other indoor allergens. Simply put, it is purifying your air, making it healthier to breathe. Upgrade that filter and the size of the particles that can pass through that filter decreases. What does that mean for you? Healthier air. Here’s the thing, you still have to make sure your filter is changed regularly!
- Purify Your Air– Regularly wiping down surfaces in your home, car and office is a smart thing to do, but did you know you can help purify the air you are breathing too? These days, there tend to be very limited times that we are opening our windows in our home and letting fresh air come in and recirculate through our homes. In the winter, our windows are closed, our heat is running and we are breathing recirculated air. (Think airplane on a larger scale. Yuck.) Godby can install The REME HALO in-duct air purifier. This is an air purifier and UV light in one. The Halo is installed into your existing HVAC system’s air ducts. The purifier produces Hydro-Peroxide (which is part of nature’s way of cleaning the air and occurs naturally in the Earth’s atmosphere) plasma which is distributed through the HVAC system’s air handler, duct system and all areas of your home that your HVAC system reaches. This system works to purify pollutants at the source. The charged plasma also encourages those nasty pollutants to stick together, which makes them larger and in turn are easier to catch. Viruses be gone!
No one wants to be sick and no one wants to breathe stagnant recirculating air. Breathe easier and stay healthier using the above techniques to help kill viruses. Call or text Godby today to schedule an appointment to find out what air purifying system would be best for your home! You take care of your family and we will help take care of your home.